Sunday, September 6, 2009

una settimana (first week)

Today I moved into my apartment. Now that I finally have a minute to catch my breath and talk about this previous week, I will. The flight over was an hour shorter (7hours instead of 8hours), so that was nice. Mom and I mostly slept (or tried to sleep) since it would be morning when we landed. That was kind of a bad idea because we went to sleep before dinner was served, so we went hungry for a little while. We spent the first day in Rome, but it really felt like 2 days because of jet lag. The tour we took was about three hours and it was at night. It was nice but by the end of it we were pretty much exhausted. Then the next day I got sick because my body hadn't adjusted to the food and time change. I stayed in the bed for a few hours and then we got up and went to the train station and went to Florence. The hotel we went to was not up to our standards. The rooms were small and very closed in. The air worked for the most part, the morning came and it broke. The location was also too far from town and the internet did not work, so that did not go over well. We changed hotels the next day... after dragging luggage across Firenze for about 20 minutes (but what felt like 2 hours!) we found Hotel Roma in the Santa Maria Novella Piazza. This was much nicer and we got a/c and internet. Most of our time in Firenze was spent walking, getting lost, and taking taxis. We did a little bit of shopping, ate some gelato (and pizza and what not), found my school, and my apartment. We tried to walk from my apartment to the school and almost made it when we got lost. Just when we were about to give up we found the school.... it only took us an hour (it was supposed to be 15 minutes, so please note the sarcasm). Today, we got into my apartment and I met my roommate and apartmentmates(?). The place is nice and the people are really nice too. They try to speak in mostly Italian in the apartment and with the other students. I like that... I will learn Italian much faster! Mom left after we had lunch, she had to catch a train back to Rome so she can go home tomorrow morning. So, nothing too exciting this week, but it is very very beautiful here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment